1. Since the 1950s, the incidence of knee osteoarthritis has:
a) Increased by about 10 percent
2. The biggest reason for this increase is most likely:
a) People are living longer
b) People are heavier, and extra weight puts more stress on joints
c) Poor diet
d) Lack of physical activity
3. How many types of arthritis are there?
4. In which type of arthritis do symptoms include red, patchy, scaly skin?
a) Rheumatoid arthritis
b) Psoriatic arthritis
5. Which type of arthritis is “wear and tear,” meaning the cartilage that cushions joints wears away?
a) Rheumatoid arthritis
6. People whose joints are too painful to walk very far should:
a) Avoid exercise
b) Push through the pain and walk for 30 minutes a day
c) Do exercise that isn’t painful
7. Chondroitin and glucosamine can relieve osteoarthritis because:
a) They are anti-inflammatory
b) They are building blocks of cartilage, which cushions joint
c) They lubricate joints
d) All the above
8. Which of these is a natural remedy for rheumatoid arthritis?
a) Fish oil
Did you know?
Drinking tart cherry juice can relieve joint pain from different types of arthritis. Among healthy endurance athletes, it has reduced pain after a long race.
1. b) A study led by Harvard University, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that knee osteoarthritis has doubled since the mid-20th century.
2. d) The same study found that physical inactivity is likely the biggest reason for the rise, though poor diets and excess weight are also factors. A longer lifespan doesn’t explain the increase in osteoarthritis.
3. e) There are more than 100 types of arthritis. The most common form is osteoarthritis, followed by rheumatoid arthritis, and then psoriatic arthritis.
4. b) Psoriatic arthritis symptoms include inflamed skin, joint inflammation, and pain.
5. c) Cartilage wears away in osteoarthritis, causing painful bone-on-bone contact.
6. c) Exercise that does not stress or aggravate joints will strengthen supporting muscles and ligaments, decrease inflammation, and reduce pain. Exercise in water is a good option.
7. b) Chondroitin and glucosamine are building blocks of cartilage. They can help prevent damaged cartilage due to osteoarthritis from worsening, and relieve pain.
8. c) Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in joints, and both fish oil and boswellia, an herb used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat joint problems, are anti-inflammatory. Each works in a different way, so both may be beneficial.
Written by vera-tweed for Better Nutrition and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.